The texture in this chickpea salad is spot on, and a secret ingredient (spoiler alert, it’s kelp powder) adds just a hint of seafood flavor!
- 1 can low-sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 2 pickles, diced
- 1/2 cup Just Mayo (or other vegan mayo)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp kelp powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Mash the chickpeas in a large bowl with a potato masher or fork until you get a tuna fish like consistency.
- Stir in the celery, red onion, and pickle. Then add the mayo and mix well.
- Stir in the kelp powder, salt, and pepper.
- Serve cold. Serving suggestions: on crackers, cucumbers, sandwiches, or celery sticks.
- Kelp powder gives a hint of seafood flavor, but a little goes a long way. Start with 1/4 tsp, taste the mixture, and add more if you like. You can find kelp powder at health food stores or here on Amazon.
- Just Mayo brand is my all time favorite plant-based mayonnaise. It’s in a lot of grocery stores these days, or you can buy it here on Amazon.