- 1 can green jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 – 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp tamari
- salt, to taste
- 4 sandwich buns
- Preferred toppings
- Using your hands or a fork, pull apart the jackfruit pieces into shreds. Discard any pieces that are too tough to shred.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix 1/2 cup BBQ sauce evenly into the jackfruit shreds. If you prefer more sauce, add up to a 1/2 cup extra. Otherwise, reserve the rest for extra sandwich topping.
- In a medium sized pan, add oil and onions and stir to coat. Heat on low for about 10 minutes, until onions start to brown.
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add BBQ jackfruit to the pan, increase heat to medium, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and assemble sandwiches with your preferred toppings.