Maple and bourbon, what a combo. The only way this dynamic duo could get any better? By blending those flavor bombs in an indulgent oat milk ice cream milkshake.
I always say I’m going to savor my milkshake, and then suddenly it’s gone in 3 gulps. There’s just something about a this vegan alcoholic milkshake that checks all the boxes:
[NOTE: For more recipe videos, subscribe to the Tofu Test Kitchen YouTube channel!]
How to make the best vegan milkshake
Gather your goods from the pantry, freezer, and liquor cabinet and let’s get started.
This recipe calls for oat-based milk and ice cream. I use Planet Oat vanilla ice cream and Chobani extra creamy oat milk. You can substitute other vegan ice creams and milks, but oat based ingredients will give you the smoothest, creamiest milkshake texture.
Start by combining the vegan ice cream, oat milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and bourbon in a high speed blender. My Vitamix works best, but I’ve also used a Ninja blender and food processor with similar results.
Add two ice cubes and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Test the texture. If you want it a bit thicker, and another ice cube or two.
Once all the ice is evenly incorporated, your milkshake is ready! You can always make this non-alcoholic by omitting the bourbon, if needed.
A word on oat milk ice cream
There are quite a few vegan ice creams on the market today, but oat based is your best bet for a reliably smooth, creamy consistency. Oat milk is perfect for milkshakes and, unlike other vegan ice creams, this one doesn’t get too hard in the freezer.
I used Planet Oat vanilla for this vegan milkshake recipe. You can substitute other vegan ice creams, but avoid those that are coconut based. The flavor of coconut is a little too strong for this recipe, especially if you’re going to top it with vegan whipped cream, which is almost always made with coconut cream.
Almond milk based ice creams are a bit more watered down in flavor, so use less ice when blending. As for soy ice cream, I find that it just doesn’t taste as good as the other options.
- Stick a pair of empty glass mugs in the freezer for at least 20 minutes before filling with milkshake. They’ll turn frosted, and help keep your milkshake from melting too quickly.
- Maple bourbon pairs well with salt. Add a pretzel rod for a salty, crunchy garnish, or line the rim of your mug with coarse salt!
- Top your milkshake with vegan whipped cream (Reddi Wip has a non-dairy version), chocolate sprinkles, and a fancy cookie straw.
Have you tried making a vegan milkshake? Comment below!Print
The maple-bourbon dynamic duo is the perfect flavor bomb for this vegan alcoholic milkshake. Use oat-based milk and ice cream for the creamiest consistency.
- 1 1/4 cup (about 8 scoops) vanilla oat milk ice cream
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 oz bourbon
- 2–4 ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Serve in a chilled mug. Garnish with vegan whipped cream and sprinkles.
I use Planet Oat vanilla ice cream and Chobani extra cream oat milk.
The recipe calls for 2-4 ice cubes. Start with two, and add more if you want a thicker consistency.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Blend
Keywords: vegan milkshake, oat milk, maple bourbon